Translate

Monday, November 29, 2010

Lost in the Forest


I was lost in the forest of Shivapuri (National Park) Nepal. It was a full moon day during the time of Holi Festival (Festival of color) in Nepal. Instead of celebrating the festival I thought of camping in the forest of Nagi Gomba. I called few of my friends if they were interested to come along with me. Unfortunately, all of them were busy. I decided to venture the forest on my own. 
I packed my camping gears such as maps, tents, light, a khukuri (a Nepalese knife), and headed towards Shivapuri. At the entrance, an army officer stopped me and asked, where I was going, I said, “Nagi Gomba”. He asked for my ID and said momentarily, “It is really hostile up in the forest” and questioned why I was going, I replied, “I love camping in the forest, and as part of my Job at the trekking company and also being a Leo leader I am exploring the area”. I further said that I was planning to organize an Eco-Trek and it was a self exploration trip. And after few other questions, officer gave my ID back.

I started walking up in the hill for about ½ hours, and then I spotted a waterfall; I quenched my thirst, observing the beautiful sound of the forest, song of the bird with cool breeze in the air. As I turned around, I saw three army officers pointing guns at me. I surrender, was nervous and speechless. One of the officer asked, who are you? I replied, “I am a student”, and then he asked why I was here? I replied, “For camping”. He asked few other questions before he finally asked for my ID. I approached my bag where my wallet and other belongings were, at this point I was on the ground and soldiers were still pointing guns at me. I found my wallet took out my ID and gave it to the officer who was right next to me. He then handed my ID to a senior officer who inspected and gave it back to me. I was relieved and glad that I was still alive. Gradually, I regained my confidence and asked few questions about the forest, good place to camp, and within few minutes we were making casual conversation. Finally, they let me go. I was free as a bird. 

Thinking all the moments that took place with the officers, I found myself calling my own name, laughing with furor, and jumping with excitement. After couple of hours of walk in the forest, I reached Nagi-gomba (2248 M), a monastery of female Buddhist monk. I went in the monastery and saw Ani (female monk) smiling at me. 
I said, “Namaste!” she welcomed me and asked why I was there and offered me a tea. It wasn’t an ordinary tea that I was used to drink in the city. It was one of the hearty drinks that I have ever drunk in my life. While enjoying the tea, and watching the Kathmandu valley below, I asked, how far was Shiva-puri (my final destination), she replied, “About four hours walk in the forest”. She asked me why I was there, where was I going to stay, do I have enough food with me and so on. I told her that I was planning to stay at Shivapuri and stopped there to rest for a while. She warned me of danger, and told me about the incident of a young boy who was eaten by a leopard few weeks ago. My heart started pumping when she made this remark, but deep in my heart I had decided to go, and there was no turning back. I thanked her for a wonderful tea and greatest hospitality, and left the monastery.

I started walking again; each and every step took me deep in to forest, after an hour I felt my heart is pumping faster, and sense of animals nearby. I asked myself, what would you do if you face a leopard? I had no answer, at that point. I laughed, and realized that I was making myself vulnerable. I took my Khukhuri out of my bag and said to myself “I will kill it”. I started looking for a tree branches and started cutting its wedges in order to make it sharper, and use it for my self defense. I started walking deep into the forest carrying khukuri and self made weapons. Suddenly, I heard a movement. I stopped and looked around but nothing was there. I knew that there was something, as I rolled and glazed my eyes around, I spotted a deer. I thought it was a Leopard. I thank god for his wish not to encounter me with a Leopard at this point. I was nervous but alert, conscious, and determined to reach my final destination. After two hours of walk I reached, Bag-Dwari (Gateway of Tiger). 


I was even more afraid and worried. As I saw the cave type of shelters built by rocks  from the point where I was standing and to fuel the fear of fire I saw water creek that flows to the valley below. And, it also means chances of wild animals nearby. That was the only point I felt like I should have not come alone and I must immediately turn around, and RUN for life.  However, after constant battle of indecisiveness. I decided to move on and reach the Shivapuri Peak.   

1 comment:

  1. wow!!!! that's amazingly awesome. I am desperately waiting for the next part. It is so exciting. can't wait to read more...........

    ReplyDelete